Built in 1824, Rock Mill was one of a dozen grist mills in the area whose power source was the Hocking River. The mill was in operation grinding flour and corn into wheat and meal as late at 1905. For nearly 100 years, Rock Mill sat vacant and in disrepair. In 2003, Robert and Rita Stebelton donated the mill to the Fairfield County Park District. After an extensive archeological excavation, which included the discovery of the original mill stones, FCPD began labor-intensive efforts to restore the mill. Through the combined resources of private donations, grants and government funding, much work has been accomplished.
Exterior walls and the four above-grade floors and two sub-floors have been renovated. In September 2012, a working replica of the 26' diameter all-wood waterwheel was crafted and installed; it is the largest of its kind in the state. In October 2016, work began on installing the milling floor and connecting gearing. The work on the milling floor and gears continued through the summer of 2017. In 2017, Rock Mill ground grain again for the first time in more than 100 years! People from all over the U.S. and beyond visited to see the mill in action.
Rock Mill
1429 Rock Mill Place NW
Carroll, OH 43112
Park Hours
This park is open year round; visitors are welcome during daylight hours. Rock Mill is open for tours from May through October, Saturdays and Sundays from 1:00-3:00 p.m.